10.13.2006

SKETCHBOOK #3, page 6


Be warned: there is some very absurd storytelling to come. I was really into absurdity when I was a senior in high-school. I listened to a lot of Primus and Phish, (keep in mind this is 1997,) I was totally inspired by "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead," "Waiting for Godot," and various other Theater of the Absurd entries, and I had just finished reading Mike Gordon's short story collection, which makes no sense at all. In addition to that, Mickey and I had an ongoing series of home-video "comedy/meta-comedy" sketches called "Silly Geese" that we made after school and on weekends with our friends. They were pretty ridiculous, too.

So this (very short) story, the memoir of a man who fell in love with the sound of an E Chord, is just, as they say, the tip of the iceberg. But if you find it really annoying, which you may very well, don't despair: I got over it after a while. I never lost my appreciation for certain types of weirdness, and I probably won't ever, but in the context of writing, art, and comedy, I think the completely meaningless joke or statement that is only funny because it's so out of place lost it's appeal pretty quickly, and I eventually moved on to slightly more contextual expressions. Of course, that hasn't happened yet. We're still in 1997.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home